The Changing Face of Agriculture
The European agricultural sector is undeniably facing several challenges including an ageing population and gender inequality. However, tackling these challenges head-on can provide a professional development opportunity for new generations, in which women will experience an acceleration towards equality.
To clearly address the current status and the growing opportunities within farming, DEMETER and SmartAgriHubs, leading Horizon2020 projects promoting the digital transformation of the European agri-food sector, are organising the webinar “The Changing Face of Farming - discussing gender, youth, and digitalisation in agriculture” (February 17th, 10 AM CET) to discuss the importance of attracting young people and women into agriculture.
To discuss these challenges and potential solutions, we will be joined by:
- Dr. George Beers (Wageningen University), project coordinator of SmartAgriHubs
- Dr. Kevin Doolin (Walton Institute), project coordinator of DEMETER
- Diana Lenzi, president of the European Council of Young Farmers (CEJA)
- Ethan Cleary, Irish Farmers’ Association’s Technology and Innovation Executive responsible for the Association’s overall technological development.
- Kristina Sermuksnyte-Alesiuniene, director and coordinator of the Digital Innovation Hub AgriFood Lithuania DIH (SmartAgriHubs)
- Annick Spaans, project expert in food security and health (ZLTO)
- Mateusz Sikora, beekeper
- Philippa Gray, Fundraiser (Innovation for Agriculture)
The discussions will be moderated by Hazel Peavoy (Walton Institute & SmartAgriHubs Regional Cluster UK & Ireland).
- 10.00 a.m CET - Welcome & Introduction by Dr. Kevin Doolin
- 10.07 a.m. to 10.45 a.m. CET - Session 1 "Farmers Perspective" - Panel discussion with Philippa Gray, Mateusz Sikora, Diana Lenzi
- 10.45 a.m. to 11.25 CET - Session 2 "Training and Support Perspective - Panel discussion with Annick Spaans, Kristina Sermuksnyte-Alesiuniene and Ethan Cleary
- 11.25 a.m CET - Conclusion by Dr. George Beers